Our Scientific Advisory Board
Implantable chambers fabricated from biocompatible synthetic membranes designed to hold allogeneic cells and protect them from immune rejection. Such cell therapy devices are designed to improve cellular viability and function through the delivery of oxygen. The same devices are suitable for holding sensors or acting a subcutaneous drug delivery system.
The Procyon cell encapsulation device is a small, flat, thin, highly durable, flexible implantable chamber. It mitigates foreign body response, promotes the formation of vascular structures on its surface enabling the rapid diffusion of nutrients to the cells inside and the rapid absorption of insulin (or other therapeutic molecules) secreted by the encapsulated cells while providing a barrier protecting them from attacks by the body’s immune system without the need for immunosuppressive drugs. The Procyon technology, designed with practical clinical use as a driver, includes integration of oxygen delivery to the implantable device, which enables tighter packing of cells while maintaining their viability and functionality.
Selected Scientific Publications
- Klearchos K. Papas, Hector De Leon, Thomas M. Suszynski, Robert C. Johnson. Oxygenation strategies for encapsulated islet and beta cell transplants, Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews Volume 139, 15 January 2019, Pages 139-156.
- Smith, Kate E. MS; Kelly, Amy C. BS; Min, Catherine G. MS; Weber, Craig S. BS; McCarthy, Fiona M. PhD; Steyn, Leah V. PhD; Badarinarayana, Vasudeo PhD; Stanton, J. Brett BS; Kitzmann, Jennifer P. MPH; Strop, Peter PhD; Gruessner, Angelika C. PhD; Lynch, Ronald M. PhD; Limesand, Sean W. PhD; Papas, Klearchos K. PhD. Acute Ischemia Induced by High-Density Culture Increases Cytokine Expression and Diminishes the Function and Viability of Highly Purified Human Islets of Langerhans, Transplantation: November 2017 – Volume 101 – Issue 11 – p 2705-2712.
- Kate E. Smith, Robert C. Johnson, Klearcos K. Papas. Update on cellular encapsulation, Xenotransplantation, Volume 25, Issue 5, September/October 2018, e12399.
- Suszynski TM, Avgoustiniatos ES, Papas KK. Intraportal islet oxygenation. J Diabetes Sci Technol. 2014;8(3):575-80.
- Papas KK, Avgoustiniatos ES, Suszynski TM. Effect of oxygen supply on the size of implantable islet-containing encapsulation devices. Panminerva Med. 2016;58(1):72-7.
Procyon is the brightest star in the Canis Minor constellation.
This spectroscopy image was taken by Robert C. Johnson, Ph.D.